Rekindle Your Caveman/Cavewoman Spirit and explore the art of cooking with fire. Cooking with fire is an ancient and dependable skill. Imagine if you could cook dinner for free? No electricity or gas needed and you too could get toasty warm. Learn to cook on lots of different types of flames and how to make a rocket stove and candle cooker. Watch water boil in a paper cup, taste the delights of something cooked with just a candle, get a fire-barrel to warm you inside and out, be the master of the wood-fired pizza oven. Tutor: Green-Technology Engineer (Paul Tinker Kelly) at the Permaculture Visions demonstration site in Mt. Kembla NSW.
WHAT PERMACULTURE topic does this workshop apply to? This workshop can serve as your homework assignment for our Permaculture Design Course in related topic of ENERGY (formerly known as ‘alternative energy’, now more mainstream and viable than ever). Permaculture Wollongong Institute offers hybrid training (online with related workshop)
WHAT YOU GET: skills to build stoves for friends, empowerment, cooked snacks and drink (including a taste of our home-made apple cider), good company and your very own rocket stove to take home! (the take-home option costs an extra $30 but saves you hours of work).
In this workshop, Green Technology Engineer Paul Tinker Kelly invites you to discover better cooking with fire without gas or fire-pellets. Learn how to make a Rocket Stove, use a candle for cooking, master the art of the wood-fired pizza oven.
The Rocket Stove was developed in 1980 by Dr. Larry Winiarski (Technical Director of Aprovecho), to help people in 3rd world-countries and enable people to have a lower impact on the planet, The Rocket stove was based on a VITA stove, designed by Sam Baldwin, and re discovered the principles of the systems developed by the Romans in hypocaust under-house heating and cooking system. This is a clever, low-impact use of local resources rich valuable to every one and especially travellers because it is light and portable.
This workshop is open to individuals, couples, and young people who enjoy food, cooking and want to try a low-impact, free and clean energy. By the end of the day, you will have enough experience of cooking with fire to build a good fire with confidence, and cook a tasty meal.
In the PLAYING WITH FIRE workshop, we will:
- Make your own lightweight high efficient Rocket stove or gasifier (you choose)
- Make a fire quickly for warmth and cooking
- Discover easy-made upcycled power-candles for cooking
- Use just a little fuel to create a cooking fire
- Boil water quickly with a little wood-fire
- Prepare, cook and enjoy various easy fire-cooked foods.
- Choose the right kindling for high combustion fuel stoves.
- Discuss the difference between an upright and up-side-down fire
- Compare different fire-fuelled stoves/ovens
- Learn about what makes high-efficiency in a stove
- Learn a variety of cooking techniques
- Discuss efficiency and limitations of our elegant home-made multi-purpose pizza oven
- See the extensive food-forest gardens at Permaculture Visions Demonstration Garden.
- Opt to take home your own Rocket Stove, recipes, skills and confidence. (Take home option costs $30)
INVESTMENT: $30 Participate [great value] or $60 to participate and take home a rocket stove or gasifier
DATE and TIME: Wed Dec 2nd 6.30pm evening
BRING: closed shoes, fire-safe comfortable clothes (wool is great) suitable for the current weather conditions, raincoat (yes we can run this workshop in light rain), oven mits or gloves, camera, notebook and pencil.
If we have adverse weather, we will work indoors and undercover.
Instructors: Paul Kelly (Green Technology Engineer) and April Sampson-Kelly
Paul Kelly has developed various Rocket-stoves and gasifiers, many solar-powered tools including drills and torches. He is always fixing things (hence his nickname Tinker). He regularly fixes old computers, has built drones, is able to write code for firmware (machines) and has ample patience to demonstrate life skills. He grew up in the bushland of the Blue Mountains. Paul loves bushwalking, canoeing and living in his permaculture food forest.
Bookings essential April 0413539744 or Shane 0414937270
Tickets available here at TryBookings