Abundance on a Shoestring
A natural water management system can save you heartache, time and money. Learn how to grow food in a planned landscape. Utilise the different micro-climates. Sculpt the thirsty places and soak up the soppy patches. Mitigate flooding rains and prepare your home for wildfire.
All Earthworks need a bit of know-how and planning.
With this bit of know-how you can turn you garden into a more resilient and productive space.
With just a home-made ‘A’ frame, simple spirit level, strings, paper and measuring tape you can design and implement a good water management plan.
This workshop includes:
- Functions and benefits of of surface-water management planning
- different options to suit your land slope and soil type
- water behaviour is more than just gravity
- getting the knack of measuring contours
- Making a simple spirit level
- Making an ‘A’ frame
- Identifying points of erosion
- observation and interaction in the landscape
- efficiency and assessment of previous installations
Enjoy learning in our mature permaculture food forest
See our working display of swales and contour-plantings on heavy clay soil. Enjoy learning at Silk Farm – one of Australia’s most beautiful and abundant permaculture gardens.
Track the water flow systems and integrated food forest system. Get down and mark out the territory. Construct a no-dig swale and finally, test the water flow.
Make your own model of your site and where you plan the water to go.
You will go home with:
- Your own A Frame
- Skills to measure contours, make swales without digging or power tools
- a water-management plan for your own site in 3D
Make A Mud Pie
This workshop will include handling some bulky materials such as branches, Papier Mâché from recycled cardboard, off-cuts of lumber, compost and mulch.
It is highly likely that you will get dirty in this workshop, please bring gardening gloves, waterproof gloves, hat, safety glasses, safety-boots, an apron or change of clothes.
Adults $30, Bring-A-Friend booking for 2 person = $50 Supervised children free.